Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Toys R Us kid

It's been two weeks since I blogged last.  The reason for this is mostly because it's been a stressful couple of weeks and I don't care to broadcast drama/problems on the internet.  There's enough negativity in the world, I don't feel like I need to add to it.  That, plus, I feel silly complaining about problems when I know people who have it worse.  For instance:  I may have a job that is currently stressing me out, BUT, I have a job.  And in this economy, that's nothing to sneeze at.

I will say one thing though:  It turns out being an adult can kinda suck.

It turns out it's not all desert for breakfast and staying up way later than I should.  But, before I completely rip off a Grey's Anatomy episode, I'll explain.

I was initially under the impression that my Master's degree would be the key to a sweet job very soon after college where I combined with my husbands income would be enough to live comfortably and even take vacations from time to time.  It turns out a Master's degree is not, in fact, a magic key to a comfortable middle class life.

Don't get me wrong, it definitely helps!  Because I got it, I have learned TONS about my field (thank you Dr. Peebles, and all of my grad professors too ), been published in scientific journals, gave presentations in front of others in my field (and decided I will never not be insanely nervous before said presentations) and given opportunities that there's no way I would have had otherwise.  I in no way regret the decision.  And it's helped me get the jobs I've had.  It's just, it turns out that a comfortable lifestyle takes longer than either me or Nathan had intended.  Nathan has been incredibly awesome dealing with me carting us around the country until I find my dream job.  He's putting off finishing what he wants to, to get the career that he wants so I can find mine.  It's an awesome sacrifice and I can never thank him enough.  I also can not thank our family enough who has helped time and again when we've needed it, often without our asking.

Anyway, I'm getting off-track.  The point of me saying being an adult sucks is *drumroll*....bills.  Yes, bills. And responsibilities.  BUT, as with everything I am trying to find the positive side.  We have been forced to find inexpensive ways to entertain ourselves, and having a blast!  Matinees can be inexpensive.  We've seen Fright Night (finally!) and Harry Potter recently.  I've been reading alot more.  I highly recommend the Game of Thrones series.  OH! and MONOPOLY!!! :)  I have a new love for that board game.  

Because if I can't be rich in real life, dang it, there's always Monopoly!
I know it may not seem that exciting.  In fact most people would say we lead a really boring life right now.  But the important thing is we are still having a good time despite recent troubles rediscovering things we loved when we were younger is always fun.  And also just reinforces my earlier opinion:  Growing up can kinda suck.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Ashley, I had some of my best memories/good times when totally poor. I hate to sound like that old doddering stick that knows all because "been there, done that", but just know that people are more important than money. The fact that you have Nathan right now is WAY more fulfilling than a BMW...no, really.

    ReplyDelete